Sunday 17 June 2012

Daily Elements Mini-Series Part I: Heat


NOTE: The next few entries describe various elements of my daily life here in New Delhi. I will cover heat, teaching, siestas, and Project Awaaz.

Heat

“What dreadful hot weather we have! It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance”
-Jane Austen

Today it got up to 111 degrees Fahrenheit (44 degrees Celsius). The weather report for tomorrow is 110 degrees. And guess what: the day after that is forecasted at 112 degrees. Sensing a pattern here? It’s HOT!

I write this after taking my third shower of the day. I have (almost) learned to accept that I am always sweaty and probably always will be sweaty while I’m here. Air conditioning helps somewhat. I’m sitting in front of my air conditioner at the moment and I feel mostly ok, but the parts of my body that are touching my laptop are uncomfortably hot.



My friends and I have managed to get around the city and see some sights, such as the Red Fort, Chandni Chowk, and now the Qtub Minar (pictured above). But I regret to admit that we probably would have made it out to see more stuff if it weren’t so ridiculously hot. So we’ve ended up going to the cinema pretty often—much more often than would be the case for me back home. First we saw the Avengers in 3D at this fancy-shmancy theater with big recliner chairs, free water bottles and juice. The following weekend we saw Snow White and the Huntsman, which turned out to be much better than I had expected. Last weekend we saw Prometheus in 3D, which was pretty awful. But I don’t care! I was out of my apartment on the weekend in a building with a comfortable temperature. That was good enough for me. The heat is overwhelming. 

It is way way way way way too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment