Friday 25 May 2012

Birthday Shenanigans


Woohoo! The big 2-5! I felt it necessary to make my 25th birthday extra special, so several months ago I began planning my birthday present to myself. Wanna know what the present is? It’s a 3-month stay in India!

Since I already got myself here, I didn’t feel the need to have a big celebration. It was a pretty calm day with two main events: 1) Birthday cake at Aashirwad and 2) Evening dinner and drinks with friends.

1)  Birthday cake at Aashirwad
When I told the Maitri staff that my birthday was coming up, the director, Mr. Jolly Sir, proposed taking me and Andrew to Aashirwad to celebrate. Aashirwad is a retirement home that Maitri runs. As it turns out, I have the same birthday as the retirement home’s manager (whose name is Bhim Budha). So we went to celebrate together. This turned out to be a pretty crazy experience. We got there and they busted out a cake that said “Happy Birthday” on it. The usual. They lit some candles. Everything was going as one might expect.

But things changed when it came time to blow out the candles. But then Mr. Budha sir and I were both supposed to cut the cake and blow out the candles at the time. So I had a knife in my hand and was starting to make the first cut at the same time that I blew out a candle (I only got to blow out one because Mr. Budha was quicker than me). Ok, so the candles are out. Great! What’s next? I just followed along with what he was doing. He cut off one slice of cake and held it in his hand. So I did the same thing. But THEN he reached out his hand and I was supposed to take a bite of the cake. Whoa! That took me by surprise. After I took my bite they encouraged me to give him a bite of mine. So I held out my hand and he ate the small slice of cake that I had cut off. Ok, so then this other guy, who is (as I recall) the oldest, most long-standing resident at the home, also cut off some cake and fed each of us a bite. I was shocked. I had no idea that was coming. Then after we each took a bite he touched the top off each of our heads and said something. I’m not entirely sure if I remember this correctly, but I think I remember him saying “Bless you.”

Phew, so then the whole procession was over and I breathed a few sighs of relief. At that point Mr. Budha and I were still expected to slice up the rest of the cake and give everyone else a piece (on a plate, with a spoon).  The cake was delicious! But after that cake there were two more cakes to eat! One of them was really moist and spongy and spicy. The other was. . .I guess a marzipan cake. I don’t know how else to describe it. I was reminded of my time in France when people served me way more than I could eat. I felt bad turning down their offers for more cake, but I couldn’t stand the thought of eating seconds after having slices of three different kinds of cake. But well, that was definitely a nice birthday celebration!



2) Evening dinner and drinks with friends
In the evening I went out with Andrew, our other roommate, and my friend from home, Justin. We went back to Gurgoan to have dinner and drinks in the huge malls there. It was great to top off the evening by enjoying the company of some friends! We went to a sort of makeshift Ruby Tuesdays and I ordered some pasta with lots of cheese! I had been craving cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment