Saturday 12 May 2012

Our. . .interesting Doha layover


Andrew and I woke up very early on Friday to catch a bus that would bring us to the Nice airport. I was very tense and nervous on the way there. On top of that, we both took our first anti-malaria pills so I couldn’t tell if the churning in my stomach was coming from the pill or from my nervousness.

Everything went very smoothly. The flight was close to empty and the flight attendants gave us a ton of really good food. It seems like they handed out “refreshing towlettes” maybe ten times throughout the flight. It was the calmest, most serene flight I’ve ever been on. This was especially nice for me because I was pretty scared of going to the airport in Qatar. I really didn’t know what to expect.

The Doha airport was similar to many other airports I’ve been to before. It had places to buy food, as well as “duty-free” shops with all kinds of products, ranging from whiskey, to perfume, to chocolates. We went through security and sat in a waiting area near our departure gate.

It was also strikingly different from many other airports I’ve been to in the past. For one thing, all of the signs were written in both English and Arabic. For another thing, this airport had a mosque in it. Going through security was far more pleasant than is the case in U.S. airports. I didn’t have to show my little Ziploc bag of liquids, or take out my laptop, or remove my shoes. We just put our bags on the conveyor belt and went through the metal detector and were merry. On top of that, the people in the airport were incredibly diverse. I saw all kinds of clothing on all kinds of individuals. I lost track of how many cool hats I saw people wearing. It seemed there was a sampling of people from every country and every continent.

Warning: content in the following paragraph contains gross stuff!

The airport had an upscale feel to it, even though it was a relatively small building. However, there were some unsettling experiences in the restroom. When I first walked into a stall I narrowly avoided stepping into a puddle of vomit. No big deal though. I just left that stall and found another one. But when I came back to that restroom later and was inside a stall, I heard someone come into the stall next to mine and start vomiting. I know it’s normally kind of sickening to hear another person vomit to begin with, but this was especially disturbing. The woman was wailing in pain during pretty much the whole episode. I got spooked and promptly made my escape. It was nice to have Andrew at the airport with me. I needed to talk to someone to get my mind off of what I had just heard.

Our layover lasted (I believe) for six hours. We landed at 7 pm and left at 1 am. It was pretty brutal, especially since I’m already jet-lagged and sleep deprived. To make matters worse, I was overdressed and sore from the previous day's hike. I’m very glad that Andrew and I were on the same flight and could keep each other company during the long wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment